DIN is tied to PAN or Passport number of the applicant and each person is allowable to obtain one DIN as per rules and regulations. Therefore, prior to applying for a DIN, it’s necessary for the applicant to verify if he/she has been allotted a DIN by verifying the DIN database.
During the DIN registration process as well, procedure has been put in place by the Government to prevent duplicate DIN generation by verifying against the PAN database. However, in rare cases, a duplicate DIN may be generated inadvertently. For such cases, the Government has recently introduced Form DIR-5 for surrender of DIN.
Why need to Surrender of DIN
- Multiple DINs for one person
- DIN was obtained in a wrongful manner
- Death of the concerned person
- Concerned person is declared as individual of unsound mind by a competent court
- Concerned person has been adjudicated as insolvent
- Concerned person is/was not associated with any company/LLP